Key Facts You Should Know About Tooth Extraction
At Acadia Family Dentistry, our first inclination is to save natural teeth. There may be times, however, when tooth removal is needed to protect healthy teeth or preserve your oral health. Tooth extraction is a standard dental treatment used only when necessary. If a tooth has suffered such severe damage or decay that it can’t be saved, Dr. Jared Palmer may recommend extraction. For tooth extraction services you can trust, come to Acadia Family Dentistry in Thibodaux.
Reasons to Extract a Tooth
Tooth extractions are generally done as a last resort, as priority is given to saving natural teeth. There are circumstances, however, when tooth extraction is the right decision. Dr. Palmer may recommend extraction for the following reasons:
- Your tooth is so severely decayed or damaged that it’s beyond saving
- Teeth are impacted
- Your teeth have suffered extensive damage due to periodontal disease
- To make room for orthodontic treatment
What You Should Know About Tooth Extraction
Many people have misconceptions about tooth extraction. The following facts can give you a better understanding of this procedure.
- Extraction removes the entire tooth from its socket, including its roots – Visible teeth above the gum line can generally be removed with forceps via a simple extraction procedure. Impacted teeth will need a surgical extraction. We’ll make an incision in your gum to remove the bone structure to extract your tooth and then suture the area to help it heal.
- Tooth extractions are not painful – You’ll be given an anesthetic for this procedure to ensure you feel no pain or discomfort during treatment.
- Blood clots are normal and part of the healing process – When you brush, avoid the extraction site to keep from disturbing the blood clot.
- After-care is a must – Follow your dentist’s aftercare instructions carefully to avoid post-extraction infection and promote successful recovery.
- Recovery can take up to two weeks, after which you can eat normally again.
Tooth Extraction Near Me in Thibodaux
Back to Extractions Page