Erase the cavities with dental fillings at Acadia Family Dentistry
As hard as we may try, cavities aren’t always avoidable. In truth, most people will need dental fillings at some point in life. Here at Acadia Family Dentistry in Thibodaux, LA, we use biocompatible, metal-free, tooth colored fillings to restore the health and appearance of your teeth.
About the filling procedure
Dental fillings are among the simplest, gentlest, and most economical restorations. The procedure is completed in just one appointment, in just a few steps:
- We begin with a preliminary evaluation to ensure that any dental fillings are right for you. If a large portion of the tooth is decayed, your dentist may recommend a crown instead. For mild to moderate dental cavities, fillings are a great solution.
- Before placing a dental filling, your dentist will prepare the tooth by removing all of the decayed structure and clean the area.
- The filling material is white, and putty-like in consistency. It is colored to precisely match your natural enamel, and then applied directly to the tooth and shaped.
- A special curing light is used to harden the filling.
- Lastly, your dentist will file the filling to refine its shape, and then polish it to a beautiful sheen.
- When complete, our cosmetic fillings are indiscernible from surrounding enamel, for a natural and healthy appearance.
Benefits of composite resin dental fillings
There are several ways to repair cavities in teeth, and amalgam (silver) fillings remain one of the most common. However, in keeping with our commitment to excellence, we choose composite resin for several reasons:
- Optimal aesthetics – Cavities are unsightly, and they can easily ruin the appearance of your smile. However, bright silver fillings that eventually darken are not an improvement aesthetically. Our resin fillings look just like natural tooth enamel.
- Protect your teeth – As silver fillings age and darken, they can stain the surrounding enamel. Since composite fillings are naturally white, they will not cause discoloration.
- Safe and gentle – Because our fillings are metal-free, there are no worries about metal allergies, electrical conductivity, or corrosion.
Say so-long to cavities
If you’ve noticed a little cavity, call us before it becomes a big problem. Just contact Acadia Family Dentistry at (985) 303-2920 to schedule an appointment.
Dental fillings at Acadia Family Dentistry explained by Dr. Nhu Le
What are dental fillings?
When your dentist detects a small to a medium-sized cavity, a filling is a great solution to prevent the cavity from getting larger. The decayed area of the tooth will be removed and cleaned so the hole can be filled with the white filling material.
The white filling material is light consistency. A UV light is used to harden the filling. Once the material is cured, your dentist will polish the tooth to a beautiful shine, and the difference will be hard to recognize.
Benefits of having dental filling?
The white filling material is safe and matches your tooth naturally. It is also metal-free, so there are no worries about metal allergies, electrical conductivity, or corrosion.
How long does the procedure will take?
Depending on the size of the decay and the cavity, a filling can take about an hour to be done.
After a filling is completed, based on your doctor’s recommendations, a follow-up appointment should be made.