Dental crowns restore and protect teeth in Thibodaux, LA
Dental crowns are one of the most common dental restorations that are used. Often called “dental caps” or “tooth caps,” crowns are a versatile treatment that can be used in multiple situations to restore the health and function of a tooth and protect it from future damage. At Acadia Family Dentistry, we offer Thibodaux, LA area patients a variety of options when it comes to restoring their smiles with dental crowns.
Reasons why dental crowns are recommended
There are number of reasons that Dr. Le might recommend a dental crown, including:
- Chips, cracks, or fractures – When a tooth is broken or chipped due to injury, wear and tear, or decay, it can often be saved by placing a dental crown over it to protect the tooth and restore its natural shape and function
- Root canal therapy – After a tooth has been treated with root canal therapy, a dental crown is typically placed on top of the tooth to seal it off and protect it from further damage, infection, or decay
- Dental implant restorations – When patients have dental implants placed after extractions or tooth loss, a dental crown is commonly used for the false tooth on top of the implant
- Large fillings or multiple restorations on the same tooth – Over time, large fillings and other restorations tend to wear out, and it may be best to replace them with a dental crown for a more durable solution to protect the weakened tooth
- Cosmetic reasons – If you want to alter the appearance of one or more of your teeth, a dental crown or “front tooth cap” can be a good way to do so; since it covers the whole tooth, it can hide a variety of issues such as chips, discolorations, or oddly shaped or sized teeth
The crown placement process
Thanks to modern dental technologies, there are several different high-quality materials that can be used for your dental crown, such as all-porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, and zirconia crowns. Our goal at Acadia Family Dentistry is to use the material that is best for your individual needs, while providing natural-looking and durable results. Dr. Le will discuss the options that are best for you, which can vary depending on your treatment preferences and the location of the tooth that needs a crown. To prepare the tooth for the crown, Dr. Le will shape it and then take impressions, which are used to fabricate your permanent crown in a laboratory. We place a temporary crown on your tooth while it is being made to protect the tooth, and then when your permanent crown is ready, you come back in to the office, where we will check its fit and then use a strong dental bonding agent to secure it on your tooth.
To learn more about dental crowns and the tooth restoration options that are right for you, call Acadia Family Dentistry in Thibodaux, LA today! (985) 303-2920.